Sunday, March 13, 2011

Youth Exchange Students in Japan & Earthquake and Tsunami - help needed!

Story and news www.rotary5370.org
http://www.clubrunner.ca/portal/story/StoryDetail.aspx?accountid=50012&sid=11618&stid=District

It is with a heavy heart that Wayne and I view the devastation in Japan. In the past few days, facebook has become my friend as I've been able to connect directly with our two exchange students Stephanie Krulicki and Karly Hilgers who are in Northern Japan. I am happy to report that they are safe however; the uncertainty and threats from the nuclear plants are causing parents and our rotary family a great deal of concern. This is an excerpt from email received from Stephanie this morning (Sunday, March 13)

“I had another meeting with my Rotary club, with a few more members. They have decided that it is probably for the best that I go home. It is just a matter of when. The Tohoku Bullet Train line won't open for another three days at least and all highways to Tokyo are shut down. No one knows when roads will start to open. They are also trying to figure out how to get me a plane ticket and they didn't really understand that Canada Rotary will probably be taking care of that. I am also going to call Wayne but the lines are really bad and we haven't been able to make many outgoing calls”

Here is an excerpt from chair, Wayne McCutcheon’s email to both Karly and Stephanie

"Thanks Stephanie for the update and relieved to know you remain safe.
Please have your counselor contact me once they have a plan to get you home safe.
Karly you should also do the same. I will work from this end to effect travel plans with Val Landals as necessary. Take care both of you. I will be resting easier once you are back in Canada. Your 10 year youth exchange reflection will be like none other. Take care and be safe. “ Wayne McCutcheon

Plans are progressing to bring Karly and Stephanie home as soon as possible. Thank you to our Youth Exchange Committee who have done a wonderful job staying on top of this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment